PL | EN
Murcki Coal Mine

Murcki Coal Mine

Silesia

The coal was mined on Murckowskie Hill as early as 1657. At that time, the coal was mined in opencast working. Underground mining started in 1796. First, it was called Błogosławieństwo Emanuela Coal Mine (Emanuelssegen), and the mine was created from the merger of the Książę-Maria Coal Mine and Boże Dary Coal Mine. In 1976, the Murcki Coal Mine (the name derives from the Silesian word "umurckany", meaning "dirty") was established there. Today, after merging with Staszic Coal Mine in 2010 and Wujek Coal Mine in 2021, it is part of the Staszic-Wujek Coal Mine and belongs to the Polish Mining Group.