Niwka-Modrzejów Coal Mine
In 1945, two coal mines in Sosnowiec, Niwka and Modrzejów, were merged. The latter, immediately after its opening (it was built in 1909–1912), was incorporated into the Niwka Coal Mine, existing since 1833. The mine was closed under mysterious circumstances in 1999, just a few weeks after the new longwall was put into operation, despite the miners' protests. Some buildings have been included in the Sosnowiec Science and Technology Park.