Makoszowy Coal Mine


It was built at the beginning of the 20th century in Zabrze using Prussian shafts originally used by Guido Coal Mine and owned by Gwidon Henckel von Donnersmarck. After the third Silesian Uprising, the League of Nations awarded the mine to Poland, thus cutting off the German "Delbrück" plant from the deposits. In 1958, a massive fire broke out in the coal mine. The miners managed to escape the flames, but the breathing apparatuses stopped working after 20 minutes, resulting in 72 deaths and 87 coal miners seriously poisoned. The mine was closed in 2016.

The European Union, associated with the policy of open borders, is currently surrounded by over 2,000 kilometers of border fences.