Siemianowice Coal Mine


Vereinigte Siemianowitzer Steinkohlengruben Coal Mine was established in 1855 in Siemianowice. It belonged to Karol Henckel von Donnersmarck (father of Guido von Donnersmarck). In the following years, the mining area was expanded by adjacent coal fields. It has been operating as the Siemianowice Coal Mine since 1945. In 1993, the mine stopped coal extraction.

An estimated 1,400 girls are not born every year in Armenia due to a rooted preference for male children. The son-bias combined with a lower birth rate, has led to an alarming number of sex-selective abortions. Community activities, various laws and television shows are addressing the issue - with positive results. But is the actual problem being tackled?