Gliwice Coal Mine
It was founded in 1901 by William Suermondt, and it was named Gleiwitzer Grube Coal Mine. The first coal extraction dates back to 1912. In 1923, the mine became part of the Schering AG. The name Gliwice Coal Mine was used since 1945. The mine was closed in 2000, and the so-called Nowe Gliwice, an educational and business centre (24 million euros worth of city investment), was opened there. The mine buildings, preserved mainly till today, were designed by architects Emil and Georg Zillman, who also designed the Giszowiec and Nikiszowiec estates in Katowice. The pithead building is the seat of the Silesian Metropolitan Network, and the artistic casting department of the Gliwice museum is located in the engine room.