PL | EN

Body fat in legs and blood pressure, antimicrobial resistance

People with a higher percentage of body fat in the legs less often have high blood pressure, compared to those with low levels. The study found that people with high body fat levels in their lower limbs were 53% less likely to have high diastolic blood pressure, and 39 percent less likely to have high systolic blood pressure. The probability of them exceeding the recommended limits of both was 61% lower than in the second group. In the study, high blood pressure was defined as 130/80 mm Hg or above.

High blood pressure and diabetes impair brain function, causing structural changes to grey and white matter which harm memory and thinking. People suffering from those medical conditions scored lower in tests that measured their thinking speed and short-time memory.

Scientists warn of antimicrobial resistance as a growing issue and „superbugs” or drug-resistant bacteria. High rates of antibiotic prescription for treatment of humans and animals and using the same drugs for both populations, like in Fiji, increases the risk of antimicrobial resistance. In August ten people died there from leptospirosis. Antibiotic resistance is estimated to cause at least 700 000 deaths a year globally.

More about:
Read also
Conditions for appropriate brain development: from infant to teenager
Conditions for appropriate brain development: from infant to teenager
A study conducted at Washington University in St. Louis highlights the importance of several factors in the proper development of a child’s brain in their first year, including proper nutrition, sleep, a stimulating environment, a safe environment, proper care, and a regular circadian rhythm. Even if other conditions are unfavorable, providing these five factors guarantees […]
Gender inequalities at work and the men’s Garrick Club
Gender inequalities at work and the men’s Garrick Club
According to a survey by human resources consulting company Robert Half International Inc., 37% of women and 32% of men expressed dissatisfaction with their professional careers. Ally Nathaniel, owner of Soul Staffing Solutions, believes that the workplace was not designed with women’s needs in mind and still largely operates according to the same standards as […]
Hyperloop, AI financial advisor and “internet” record
Hyperloop, AI financial advisor and “internet” record
A European test centre for Hyperloop, a futuristic transport technology based on capsules moving at around 700 km/h through reduced-pressure tunnels, has been opened in Veendam, the Netherlands. The 420-metre-long tunnel is intended to serve as a space for developing this technology over the next few years. The centre’s director, Sascha Lamme, expects that by […]
Landslides, floods and climate change
Landslides, floods and climate change
Due to climate change, the Mekong Delta is one of the most vulnerable areas in the world. The rainy season brings more floods, while the dry season brings more droughts. Farming is becoming increasingly challenging due to the loss of land, rising sea levels, and water loss from upstream dams. As a result, many of […]
Hot oceans, underwater Sentinel and music to help corals
Hot oceans, underwater Sentinel and music to help corals
The current ocean heatwaves, characterized by high ocean water temperatures, have been happening for two consecutive years now. Scientists warn that this may result in a significant alteration of the Earth’s systems that could be irreversible. In the Atlantic basin, sea surface temperatures have risen by 1-2°C compared to the baseline from 1971-2000. Satellite data […]
Previous issues