PL | EN

The war in Ukraine and the protection of Antarctica and dolphins in the Black Sea

Delegations from Russia, Ukraine, China, the US and the EU, among others, met in Australia to decide about  the future of Antarctic waters. According to environmentalists, new marine protected areas and regulations to prevent overfishing need to be established. However, Russia may use its veto power to block these initiatives again, not least because of the ongoing war in Ukraine – in October this year, Russian bombs dropped on Kiev partially destroyed Ukraine’s National Antarctic Research Centre. The war in Ukraine is also the subject of one of the  latest episodes of the Outriders podcast.

According to Ivan Rusev, an employee of Ukraine’s Limans Tuzlovsky National Nature Park, up to 50,000 Black Sea dolphins may have died  during the war in Ukraine. The reason for this is the activities of Russian ships, including submarines. The noise they emit can disorientate dolphins and other sea creatures, which can get lost in the sea, hit a mine or suffer hearing damage as a result. Marine life is also harmed by water pollution. According to Rusev, about 5% of all dead animals are washed ashore, while the remaining 95% sink to the bottom of the sea.

For more than 40 years, a group of New England scientists have been tracking hundreds of critically endangered Biscayan cetaceans. Millions of photos from the sky and sea have been taken of entire families – mothers, children, siblings, cousins and grandparents, often tracked from birth. The population of these mammals in the North Atlantic has declined to levels not seen since around 2001. This is largely due to climate change and human-caused mortalities. In 2021, there were around 340 whales, while in 2010 there were almost 500.

Previous issues
The Iraqi government decides to close several refugee camps
Ethiopians running away to Sudan
Migrants are heading to Canary Islands
Canada open to immigrants
Brutal treatment by Croatian police on migrants
A trial of Uber Eats in Italy
Migrants’ situation in Algieria
The first caravan of Central American migrants since the pandemic
Serious human rights violations in Libya
New migrant plan for Europe
Fire destroys Moria refugee camp
Immigration policy of Donald Trump
Banksy’s boat rescues migrant
The death of Abdulfatah Hamdallah, a migrant form Sudan
Cooperation on migrants crossing English Channel
Migrants’s situation in Lebanon after deadly blast in Beirut
 Italy’s Senate lifted the immunity of Matteo Salvini
Migrants’ situation in Canada
US changes visa rules for students
US court decides on migrant children in detention centres
World Refugee Day 2020
Intikane camp attack
Malta allowed 425 migrants to disembark
Refugees in Greece face homelessness
Hungarian government shuts down the so-called “transit zone” of Röszke
The work permit for migrant workers in Italy
Indian migrant workers come back home
Rohingya refugees dramma
Medical staff in the West consists of many migrants
Immigration to US to be suspended amid coronavirus
US expell migrants due to COVID-19
Thousands of families are displaced by flooding in Yemen
Portugal helps immigrants during the pandemic
South Africa fights against coronavirus
COVID-19 vs migration
Refugees from Cameroon seek shelter in Nigeria
Syrian refugees want to enter Europe
Great Britain announces new immigration system
Another tragedy of refugees in Syria
UN makes a landmark decision about the victims of climate change
Rohingya refugee children will get access to education
The United States deported 25 Cambodian refugees
Imigrants at the US-Mexico border
Scandinavia will help African refugees
Migrants are trying to get to Great Britain
World’s refugees’ situation in 2019
For the sixth year in a row, over 1,000 people died in the Mediterranean in a year
At least 58 people died on their way to Canary Islands
UK truck tragedy of Vietnamese migrants
Immigrants drama in Libya
Rights groups warn of a new humanitarian emergency in Bosnia
France is introducing a new migration policy
New asylum law in Greece
The US administration plans to collect DNA samples from asylum-seekers
Mexico deported Indian national people to New Delhi
Transit zone in Hungary
Invisible
Lifevests
Migrants in Poland
Wall on the Hungarian – Serbian border
Frontex patrol
Center in Kofinou
Spotters on Lesbos
Admission
Macedonian – Serbian border
By clicking "Subscribe", I consent to the sending of the Outriders newsletter by Outriders Sp. not-for-profit Sp. z o.o. and I accept the terms .
Sign up